Right from the internet boom in the 20th century, we have inventions and creations that years before, were not feasible including e-commerce businesses.
Online shopping, also known as e-commerce was founded around 1979 by Michael Aldrich. He started this new era of innovation geared towards buying and selling stuff over the internet.
This era was catalyzed by the introduction of Electric Data Exchange which is “the concept of businesses electronically communicating information that was traditionally communicated on paper, such as purchase orders and invoices” (Wikipedia).
Right from 1979 till now we have seen lots of boom in this industry. As of 2017, mobile e-commerce hit around $700 billion in revenue.
In starting an E-commerce business, lots of things must be carefully considered. One such thing is the Hosting Package you will subscribe to.
Below are some of the factors you must consider before you opt into any Hosting plan or migrate to a higher plan.
When picking your hosting plan, one of the most important things you must have at the back of your mind is Security.
- Why should Security be your main priority?
Most E-commerce platforms make use of on-site payment methods. In this sector, the Payment process is divided into three.
- Merchant account: Is a customized bank account that allows business owners to accept payment from debit or credit cards over the internet.
- Payment Process: These are specialized financial institutions that work in the background to provide all the payment processing services that are required by an online merchant. Most times, these companies have partnerships with other companies that directly deal with consumers or merchants.
- Payment Gateway: A payment gateway is a remotely-hosted software application that transmits transaction data from either the payment page of your website or from a virtual terminal, which is the link merchants use to process transactions securely and efficiently from their own computer. It processes online card payment with a secure internet connection. Check here
Looking at the brief break down of the E-commerce payment system, there can be a bridge anywhere in the process.
As such, a very secured hosting plan is needed, a plan that features Secured Socket Layer (SSL) protections with HTTPS. This is by far the more secure than the conventional HTTP.
Together, these additions can fully protect the information your customers share on your site. This includes everything from their name to their credit card information. Check our special offers here
We have to be very clear here. E-commerce sites are dynamic sites and as such, your hosting plan should be flexible enough to accommodate the undulations and changes in the platform.
The importance of site speed or your page load time is extremely important for people in this sector. Your site load time can’t be as low as 15 sec and expect to gain traction and get good conversion on your platform.
In Broaddrive, we have special packages including the
- Start-up plan: Free Domain + SSL, Unlimited Emails, 20GB Disk Space, 50GB Bandwidth, Unlimited Databases, Free Website Transfer.
- Professional: Free Domain + SSL, Unlimited Emails, 30GB Disk Space, 100GB Bandwidth, Unlimited Databases, 48hrs Auto Backup, Free Website Transfer.
- Enterprise: Free Domain + SSL, Unlimited Emails, 60GB Disk Space, 300GB Bandwidth, Unlimited Databases, 48hrs Auto Backup, Free Website Transfer.
SUPPORT FOR YOUR SITE CMS SOFTWARE
There are some sites with awesome GUI (graphics user interface), but with crappy or zero functionalities.
You might be making use of CMS platforms like WordPress, wix and other CMS tool. The fact is, if the platform you are using is not compatible with your hosting plans, you are going to have serious issues.
So, make sure when you register with hosting company like Broaddrive, that you have exceptional hosting plans that are compatible with word press and other CMS tools plus 300 plus apps.
CONCLUSION: In picking a hosting plan for your e-commerce startup, make sure you don’t sabotage the functionality, security and prompt responsiveness of the site by opting into hosting plans that might be cheap or of a low price without the basic functionality that e-commerce needs to run.