Ranking on the first page of Google search is a good thing for sites, be it personal or business sites. The higher your site ranks on Google SERP (Search Engine Result Page), the more traffic your site will generate which invariably means more revenue for your business.
Statistically, 95% of web users do not scroll more than the first page of Google SERP page. So, it will really be awesome to have your site coming up on the first page of google search for related keywords attached to the site.
The fact is your site cannot automatically start ranking on the first page of Google SERP like that. It takes lots of hard work and dedication for this to happen.
Below are easy but effective things you can easily implement to get your site ranking high on search engine result page.
GOOD AND WELL OPTIMIZED CONTENT
Google algorithm, even Facebook algorithm from findings and research shows that it favors sites with relevant content. Content is still king.
Providing quality and unique content that addresses the main point of your intended consumers is one of the best ways you can increase your page ranking.
- Google usually falls in love with a site that has unique contents. The internet now is flooded with lots and lots of information. So, uniqueness and relevancy of your content have a great effect on your Google page rankings.
- Your content needs to be SEO friendly, if you are using CMS tool like WordPress you make use of plugins like Yoast to help you improve your readability score and SEO score.
- A very good point to take note here is the keywords/keyword phrases you use in your post. When picking keywords, ensure you have your audience at the back of your mind. It should be a word or catchphrase that people who are looking for information related to your content will type in the Google search bar.
At intervals, fix these keywords/keyword phrases into your content. Make sure it is done in such a way that it flows with the message you are trying to pass across. It should not be excessive. Update your content regularly.
Meta tags are snippets of text that describe a page’s content; the meta tags don’t appear on the page itself, but only in the page’s code (word stream). They are usually placed at the space between <head> tags.
Meta tags give a more detailed description of your sites to Google crawlers. It can be optimized to display the most important elements of your posts. This will also help in increasing your Page ranking.
We have myriads of meta tags each having a different function. We are going to drill down to the most important meta tags that have a direct effect on your website’s ranking.
- Title Tags: It is the first thing that users notice when they see your page on the search result. Your page title gives people a prelude of what they should expect from your page. So, your page title should be as descriptive and as clear as it can be with the right keywords. If you are using a Yoast CMS plugin, it will be very easy for you to set up an SEO friendly title tag.
- Descriptive Tags: This tag is as important as the title tag. It is the little description below the title tags. A good descriptive tag is usually not more than two very clear, full and captivating sentence.
- Keyword Tags: This contains about 8 to 10 keywords or keyword phrases related to the content of the page. Make sure you add relevant keywords and not some random words that are not so much in line with the page content.
Statistically, 40% of people abandon a website that takes about 3 seconds to load.
“Page speed,” “site speed” or “page load time” is the amount of time a web user has to wait until the website completely displays its page content. With Google Page Speed Insight, you can evaluate the page speed of your site. Click here to optimize your page speed on google.
Google in 2010 added page speed as a ranking factor. Now, having a low page speed affects your website in such a way that the web crawler will crawl only a few pages and this will affect your indexation.
Some of the things you can implement to increase your page speed are
- Your Hosting Plan: Make sure you pick the right hosting that fits your business. Check Broaddrive hosting solution here
- Optimize image and plugins: Make sure the image you upload on your site is the specified image in terms of resolution, dimensions and file type, like PNG’S and JPEG’S.
Some other best practice you can implement includes getting an SSL certification, increasing the responsiveness of your site and working on your technical SEO.